Monday, July 26, 2004

Baby deer.......Alive!

I arrived in the bustling metropolis of Ottertail, MN at approximately 8:46pm Friday night. My aunt an uncle had already started drinking without me, so I had a lot of catching up to do. I first had to tend to my parental duties, which included sending my youngest to bed, and getting the other two settled down. It was at this time my uncle stumbled over to the neighbors house to borrow a guitar.

See, my uncle and I have this thing we do, which is, get drunk, then sit around the fire and butcher blues music, me on the guitar, and him on the harmonica. He's pretty good with the mouth harp, and I'm about average on the guitar. We have a couple of songs that we usually start of with....eventually it turns into a marathon rendition of "Kansas City" which morphs into something completely different over the course of several shots of whiskey....

Anyways, After about fourty-five minutes of "jamming", my uncle came up with this brilliant idea to go to one of the two bars in town, and provide the entertainment. I wasn't so much drunk by this point, but I was fairly pliant...So, he grabbed about five different mouth harps and placed them in a freezer bag, and I put the guitar in the backseat of his Chevy Lumina, and off we went....

As it turned out, the bar we selected to invade was in the midst of Karaoke....which I suspected would be the case even before we left, but seeing as how I'm no longer considered "a local" (which means they no longer accept my checks), I've been left out of the loop. So, my uncle and I shot a game of pool, and I sent my stage name..."Stinky"...in for a couple of songs. Because I'm a returning former local, and a former favorite bartender from the rival bar down the road, I managed to drink for free....long story short, I got hammered pretty quickly, all while getting caught up on the local gossip, doing my best Frank Sinatra, and beating my uncle at billiards...

When the big fat Karaoke show shut down for the night, my uncle staggered out to the car and grabbed the guitar, and we proceeded to entertain the remaining crowd with our antics...which meant that I was too drunk to finish any one song we started, although I took requests for anything from Blind Willie McTell, to Brittany Spears (I do a bitchin' version of "Oops, I Did It Again" on the acoustic. We got kicked out.

In our brilliance, we thought maybe the other bar down the road would be more receptive to our brand of entertainment because, well, I used to bartend there.....as it turned out they wouldn't even serve us....and after getting three chords into a song, we were shown the door there also....

By the time we arrived back at my uncles house, my wife had already shown up...I guess she'd been there an hour or so, and was helping my aunt finish a bottle of wine (girls)....

The rest of the weeked wasn't as entertaining....took the kids fishing (I caught four little pan fries using my daughters "Spider Man" Fishing rod) and to the fair (where we ran into many people who still reside in what I affectionately call "stink town")....I miss the good times there, but the job market sucks, and it's impossible to make a living or provide for my kids (especially when I've got FOUR...yeah, I'm a pretty busy guy)...Went tubing, or as my friend and cyber drinkin' buddy from Carbondale (Jonny B) refers to it, a float trip....

....however, the last bit of drama occured on the way back to the metropolitan area....

Being from "cow's ass" Minnesota, I'm familiar with all the shortcuts, or as I refer to them, "snake routes", to get back to the interstate..(contrary to popular belief, there are paved roads north of St. Cloud, MN)...anyways, I'm driving through a fairly rural, and little used country back road, when out of nowhere, two deer start across the road...there never really is a correct way to avoid a deer when it's coming at you...the best idea I came up with on short notice was to brake and swerve...which, as it turned out, was the wrong thing to do....because I hit one of the deer....it took out my mirror, and nearly the entire drivers side of the car...funny thing was that the two children in the backseat barely noticed anything had happened....I had thought for sure the deer was going to attempt to jump over the car...fortunately that wasn't the case....

...So anyways, I got back to the cities, and called my insurance guy up and shucked the jive with him over a couple of beers.....hopefully it'll get fixed by the next time I venture up north....for those readers (hahahaha!) who are members of PETA or any other animal rights organization, I'm happy to report that the deer was able to leave the scene of the accident, apparently unscathed....



1 Comments:

Anonymous vehicle said...

Millennium Plus operates using an innovative hybrid of technologies, including GPS satellites and patented microburst cell technology. Each time you communicate with the transceiver in the vehicle, there is a two way flow of information.

* When accessing Millennium Plus via the Internet using any standard browser, you send out a signal. That signal then travels to the cell phone tower nearest your current location.

* Microburst technology operates on existing cellular networks to send and receive data packets, tapping into unused channels on the back side of standard cell frequencies.

* The GPS satellites then locate and communicate with the Millennium Plus transceiver on board your vehicle, which exchanges information on location and speed, as well as executing any commands you've sent.

* The cell towers then relay the signal back to you via the exact means by which it was sent.

gps systems,google gps,
car gps,gps navigation system,handheld gps,
gps reviews,gps maps,gps navigation,cell phone gps,gps tracking,gps software,gps units,bluetooth gps,

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home